It takes the average business 5 years to become profitable. Think about that for a second. That means working…for 5 YEARS…for free. Who does this? What kind of sick-minded, masochistic fool starts a business?
We’re called entrepreneurs. We work for wealth, not a paycheck.
The difference between wealth and a paycheck is fantastic! It’s huge. I came across this graph that @mjdemarco posted a long while back, and I think it is very succinct:
Notice how employees (i.e. MOST people) earn quite a lot more than business owners at the start. Business owners are such fools, aren’t they? What losers. They could be making so much more money if they just got a REAL job. So why don’t they?
Again, it comes down to wealth vs a paycheck.
What is the difference?
- A paycheck pays the bills. Wealth sets you free.
- A paycheck comforts you. Wealth challenges you.
- A paycheck makes the car payment. Wealth creates the opportunity for hundreds or thousands of others to make the car payment.
- A paycheck makes you smile on Friday at 5PM. Wealth makes you smile when you wake up every morning.
- A paycheck makes you look forward to vacation. Wealth makes you look forward to work…AND vacation.
- A paycheck sees the internet as a way to kill time. Wealth sees the internet as an opportunity.
So you’re trucking along, and your blog isn’t pulling it’s weight yet. You’ve been working to get your email list going, but it’s taking a while. You’re doing all the right things, but you’re not seeing the results yet. That’s GREAT! You’re in the “working for free” phase of entrepreneurship.
You know what’s REALLY cool? Building a successful and profitable website or blog is even FASTER than building a traditional business. If you’re doing things right, it’s just not gonna take you 5 years. But a lot of you are getting really frustrated and quitting after just a few months. Sorry, you have to stick with it for a while. Please do. The results WILL come.
Why work for free? Because a paycheck is not your goal. Wealth is your goal. What’s wrong with paychecks? Nothing. It’s just a completely, totally different mindset, and if you want to build wealth, a wealth-focused mindset is a prerequisite.
For fun, I’ve included this rant from Chris Rock. Yeah, it’s been around for a long time. You may have seen it already. It stuck with me. It’s hilarious, and it contains a sliver of profound truth. If you’ll be offended by some adult language, don’t watch it.
From now on…build wealth. Have WEALTH be your focus.
If you’re viewing this in a feed that doesn’t support video, click here to view the video 🙂